Student Services » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Glasscho Hope Wellness Center  (3 Questions)


1. What is the Glasscho Hope Wellness Center?

The Center is a comprehensive, affordable, and confidential medical care on both Hardeeville and Ridgeland campuses. The services include: health promotion/disease prevention, alcohol and drug abuse counseling, lab tests, acute episodic care, wellness and nutrition counseling, sport and athletic physicals and teen counseling services.


2. Who is eligible for the Center?

Students who are medicaid eligible receive services free. Student and district staff can paid a fee of $30 for medical and $50 for dental services per year.


3.  How do I obtain more information?

For more information contact the Nurse Supervisor, Michelle Wright, RN at 843-489-8844 ext. 4314.


Health Services  (2 Questions)


1. How can I enroll my child in the School-based Health Clinic

Contact your School Nurse


2. How can my child receive medication at school?

Contact School Nurse



Home Schooling  (4 Questions)


1. What is Home Schooling?

Home School takes place when a child is taught at home by a parent or an association.


2. What are the requirements for Home Schooling?

The requirements are: the parent or guardian must hold a least a high school diploma or GED certificate; complete application with all required documents to be approved by the Board of Education; or parent can join the South Carolina Association of Independent Home Schools (refer to SC 59-65-45); or a parent can use a private home school association (refer to SC 59-65-47)


3. If I Home School will my child be tested by the school district?

Yes, contact the District and 843-489-8898 ext. 2100.


4. How do I contact the SC Association of Independent Home Schools (SCAIHS)?

The address is SC Association of Independent Home Schools, 930 Knox Abbott Drive, Calyces, South Carolina 29033-3320; The phone number is 803.454.0427 and email: [email protected]; website:



Homebound Program (14 Questions)


1.  What is the Homebound Program?

Students who cannot attend school because of illness, accident, or pregnancy are eligible for homebound or hospitalized instruction. A physician must certify that the student is unable to attend school but may profit from instruction given in the home or hospital. The district superintendent must approve any student participating in a program of homebound instruction or hospitalized instruction or his/her designee on standardized forms provided by the State Department of Education. The district for documentation must maintain all approved forms. Once approved, the student is eligible to homebound instruction. Contact Senaca Baines (Homebound Coordinator) 843-489-8892 ext. 2100. 


2. How does the parent arrange for a child to receive medical homebound instruction?

The parent should contact the Guidance Office at the child's school. A homebound application is obtained and taken to the family doctor. The parent completes Section 1 and the doctor completes Section 2. The form is returned to the school's Guidance Office.


3.  Is medical homebound instruction the same as home schooling?

No. The home schooling program is taught by the parents who are responsible for their child's education (see home schooling program).


4.  Who can use this service?

Any student who has an acute or chronic medical condition that prevents him or her from attending classes at school


5.  If a physician completes a medical homebound application is the district required to provide medical homebound instruction?

No. The Superintendent of Schools or his or her designee must approve any medical homebound instruction request. The district can ask the physician to supply additional information.


6.  Can the Superintendent of School request a second medical opinion if he or she disagrees with the first physician or felt inadequate information was provided?

Yes. There is no federal or state law prohibits a Superintendent from doing so.


7.  Can a child with a recurring medical condition that only intermittently prevent student from attending school use the medical homebound program?

Yes. If a student has a recurring medical condition that intermittently makes him or her unable to attend school, the student may be eligible to receive medical homebound instruction during those periods. A recurring medical condition may also allow a child to quality for services and/or accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.


8.  Can a nonpublic school student receive medical homebound instruction?

A student must be enrolled in a public school to qualify for medical homebound instruction. The district may count the student in its attendance report for state aid purposes.


9.  What happens if the Superintendent of School or his or her designee denies the request for medical homebound instruction?

The Superintendent of Schools has the authority to approve or deny the physician's medical homebound recommendation. A parent may choose to go through the local school district's appeal process.


10.  Once the district approves medical homebound instruction, how much instruction time must the student be provided?

The student receives 1 hour of instruction per missed day. Example: A child medical homebound application is approved for 10 days on nonattendance. The child will receive 10 hours of medical homebound instruction.


11.  What is the difference between a special education home-based place and medical homebound instruction?

Medical homebound is provided for both nondisabled and disabled students who cannot attend school for a medical reason (mental or physical condition caused by an accident, an illness, or pregnancy). A licensed physican must certify the homebound application. A special education home-based placement is provided only to the student with a disability and only upon the determination of the student's IEP team.


12.  When can medical homebound instruction begin?

Instruction cannot begin until a physician certifies the student is medically unable to attend school. The Superintendent of Schools or designee must then approve or deny the medical homebound instruction. A student is eligible for medical homebound instruction on the beginning date (if it is a school day) of nonattendance on the homebound application.


13.  Where should medical homebound instruction take place?

Instruction usually takes place the student's home or a hospital; however, an alternate location can be chosen if deemed necessary.


14.  Who can provide homebound service?

Services are conducted by any individual who has a South Carolina teacher's certificate.



Homeless Program  (4 Questions)


1.  What are some the services provided?

The services provided families consisted of assisting with lunch fees until parents complete lunch applications; paid school fees and purchased books for students use; purchased school uniforms, shoes and other clothing items; bought school supplies and other fees needed in an educational setting.


2.  What are the categories for Homelessness?

The categories includes: house fires, evictions, domestic violence, child abandonment, doubled up, unemployment, foster care and living in hotels.


3.  What is the purpose of the Homeless Program?

The purpose of the Jasper County School District Homeless Program is to provide needed assistance to families experiencing homelessness by removing barriers hindering the education of the students.


4.  Who to contact for more information?

Alayshia Steadman-Barr (843-489-8892 ext. 2300 in the Student Services Department.



SCYCA (South Carolina Youth Challenge Academy)  (1 Question)


1.  Where can I get an application?

Contact the Jasper County School District Student Services Department at 843-489-8892 ext. 2101. You can also visit their website at