Thank you for your interest in teaching in Jasper County Schools! This posting is for international candidates interested in entering the district on an international teaching license for the 2023-2024 academic year. If you have applied, completed an interview, and have been recommended for a position within the district by a hiring manager or building administrator, our HR Generalist can share information on the steps to gaining a Visa, achieving certification, and completing the necessary paperwork for hire with the district.
To be legally able to work for Jasper County Schools, there are three items that must be obtained:
- A SC Teaching License (issued by the SC Department of Education);
- A Work Authorization (Visa) (issued by USA with support from attorneys); and
- A signed contract (issued by Jasper County School Human Resources Team)
The document below will assist you in obtaining all three.
Special Praxis Exam Note for International Candidates
- Please be sure you are taking the most appropriate exam. Once your course-by-course evaluation is uploaded to the SC Educator Portal, please communicate with the HR Generalist for assistance with the proper exam if you are not sure.
- Educators do not have to have a Social Security Number although the PRAXIS site suggests you need one due to the statement “results may be delayed”. However, as long as educators use the SCDE code (8108), the SCDE will receive the results.
Additional Links of Interest
To obtain a Social Security Card: Please read through the instructions on the application to apply for a Social Security Card which can be found here: https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf. Please fill out this entire application either electronically and then print it or print it and complete the application in blue or black ink.
Take this completed application and the following documents listed below to the Social Security office nearest to you once you are in the U.S, you can search Social Security offices using this website: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON/main.jsp#officeResults but the closest Social Security Office to Jasper County School District’s Main office is located at: 646 ROBERT SMALLS PKW, BEAUFORT, SC 29906 their phone number is: 1-866-254-3316.
Here are the documents you will need to bring with you:
- Your current passport with H1B visa stamp
- Your form I-94 which can be retrieved here: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/recent-search **do not print this until you are in the US and at this time also ensure all information on the I94 is correct**
- Your I797 H1B Approval Notice
- Two forms of picture ID:
- your passport
- another form of picture ID such as a driver's license or birth certificate
- $25 to open a checking account and/or $50 to open a savings account.
- DS2019 Form and/or H1B Approval Letter
- $50 to open a checking account.